We offer Telehealth… During the pandemic and year-round
PEERS: Social Skills Classes
Is your middle or high school student or young adult struggling with conversations, socializing or making friends? Consider PEERS! Cheerful Chatter is the first to offer PEERS in southern New Jersey!
MOTIVATED INDIVIDUALS WITH:
Ellen McSpadden, MA, CCC-SLP, CAS
My son has been in his social skills group for years.
- Years? As therapists, our job is to discover, create and use approaches that really work. The goal is to teach needed skills in a way that results in genuine, measurable progress across multiple people and various settings… efficiently and thoroughly. It should not take years.
- PEERS is designed to be taken once!
We can't find a group that meets his needs.
- PEERS was designed for individuals who are often left out… either because they’re too smart or too old.
- PEERS helps children and young adults when they need it most!
He loves his social skills group and he's made friends there, but he still struggles at school.
- “Friendship-matching” groups are based on the assumption that because kids share the same diagnosis (for example, an allergy to cats), they’ll be friends (for example, with all others that are allergic to cats).
- Unfortunately, life does not work that way. Friendships are based on common interests, not diagnoses.
- “Skill-based” groups… like PEERS… use an individual’s strengths to teach the skills with which they struggle. This approach teaches children how to find the friends they want, initiate conversations and create true friendships… wherever they may be!
Parents become their Social Coach.
PEERS has been featured in newspapers, on websites and in broadcasts throughout the country and around the world. It works that well! The links below will lead you straight to each source… Interested in the research? Click here.
Our Ideal Tweens & Teens
- Are behaviorally independent and successful in general education/mainstream classes
- Have at or near-average language and learning skills
- Are struggling to socialize, make, and keep friends
- Will enter the target grade in…
- Parent attendance and participation is required.
- All classes are limited to 9 children.
- The elementary program is based on UCLA’s Children’s Friendship Training Program while the middle and high school programs are based on UCLA’s PEERS for Adolescents.
- – Both programs are evidence-based and parent-assisted.
- All classes include written handouts, peer-to-peer practice and phone calls, and time just for parents.
- Registration is not complete & their seat is not guaranteed until payment has been received.
- – Cost is determined by the schedule, number of classes, and will be introduced with the new schedule.
- – Payments made by credit card will incur a non-refundable surcharge.
- With the exception of a cancellation by Cheerful Chatter, refunds will not be issued regardless of reason.
- If a class is cancelled by Cheerful Chatter, the cost for that class will be reimbursed by check.